Danica Center for Physical Therapy, Pilates and Tai Chi
Danica is an innovative and integrative Center for Physical Therapy, Pilates and Tai Chi located in Sharon, Connecticut. At Danica, you can achieve and exceed your personal goals of restoring, maintaining and enhancing your mobility, balance, and ability to perform daily activities through highly skilled and specialized Manual (Hands-On) Physical Therapy, Pilates, and Tai Chi Chuan provided in a personal, clean, and attractive treatment and classroom environment that is conducive to your healing and wellbeing.
- Experience pain or mobility restrictions that limit your participation in daily household, work, yard, social, or athletic activities
- Would like to find a way to avoid losing ground and instead maintain or enhance your current level and ability to move, stay active, and feel well
- Are unable to travel or participate in social and family activities due to urinary incontinence, pain or other problems from the pelvis or pelvic floor
- Have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis or Osteopenia, are pregnant, or have given birth
- Just want to know how best to improve your flexibility, core strength, balance and/or posture
Then Danica is right for you!
Our Physical Therapists offer you their unique experience, skill set, and Evidence Based Practice (a combination of current research, physical therapist experience, and the patient’s goals and circumstances) to help determine the most effective plan of care for you. During each of your full hour sessions, we provide a hands-on, individual, mind-body awareness and functional movement based approach to rehabilitation and to restoring and enhancing your health and wellness. You will be working with your physical therapist on a one-on-one and ongoing basis in private treatment rooms as well as in our beautiful movement space to assure efficiency, continuity in your care, and faster results.
Dr. Bente Dahl-Busby, PT, DPT, NCPT
Dr. Bente Dahl-Busby opened Danica Center for Physiotherapy, Pilates and Tai Chi, in September of 2015. Prior to the start of Danica, she was a co-owner of NordiCare Physical Therapy for over 22 years.
Bente’s experience as a physical therapist originated in her homeland, Denmark, where she trained and graduated in 1985. She earned her Doctor of Physical Therapy degree at A.T. Still University in Arizona in 2010. In 1990 she received a Certification in Acupressure at the American Acupressure Institute in Berkeley, California, and she graduated from the Polestar Pilates Institute in Miami as a Professional Polestar Pilates Rehab Teacher and became a PMA® Certified Pilates Teacher in 2016. Since 1984, Bente has been a student of the Master Kai Yin Tung Academy of Tai Chi Ch’uan, studying with Master Tung, and a student of Jane Golden’s School of Tai Chi & Qigong, studying intensively with Jane Golden 1987-91. Bente has taught and used principles from Tai Chi in her work as a physical therapist for over three decades.
Bente has a lifelong background in gymnastics, movement therapies, and mind/body awareness and energy works. She has for over 3 decades pursued extensive advanced continuing education primarily within the areas of manual therapy, orthopedic-, and sports- physical therapy, and she has received specialized training and has particular interest in Pelvic Floor and Women’s Health Physical Therapy.
Professional Associations and Affiliations:
- Danske Fysioterapeuter (DF) (Danish Physical Therapy Association) – member since 1986
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) – member since 1991
- Connecticut Physical Therapy Association (CPTA) – member since 1991
- APTA – Orthopedic Section
- APTA – Private Practice Section – (PPS)
- APTA – Section on Women’s Health (SoWH)
- Pilates Method Alliance (PMA) – member since 2014
What Sets Danica Apart?
- Highly skilled Physical Therapy Services combined with Polestar Pilates and Tai Chi (as appropriate and desired by the individual client) provided by a specialized Doctor of Physical Therapy, in a personal, professional, comfortable, and attractive environment.
- Full hour sessions spent in their entirety working with the physical therapist toward your goals. (Time receiving moist heat, modalities, and individual time spent on exercises is outside of the 60 minutes working with the PT, at no extra cost.)
- One-on-one sessions with a highly trained and experienced Doctor of Physical Therapy.
- Private treatment rooms and a spacious, beautiful movement and exercise setting.
- No to minimal waiting time before sessions.
- Minimal paperwork to fill out before you can start your sessions.
- No need for a prescription (Connecticut has ‘direct access’ to physical therapy), a referral or prior insurance authorizations.
- No restrictions set forth by insurance companies regarding which or how many areas or problems you would like to address during the sessions, or on how many sessions you receive.
- Saturday appointments available in addition to weekdays, with the exception of Wednesdays. Convenient appointment times to fit your schedule.
- Fewer sessions tend to be required due to level of physical therapy skills and amount of client education and instruction included in each hour long session. Typically we see clients/patients for 2-4 visits, compared to 8-12 in most physical therapy settings.
- Physical Therapy patients are able to progress directly from individual sessions into functional exercise classes, including Pilates and Tai Chi Balance or Form, led by your physical therapist (Dr. Bente Dahl-Busby) if it is deemed appropriate and safe for you and if you wish to do so. This assures a safe exercise environment and an effective progression toward higher or usual levels of functional activity.
- On-site Pilates classes as well as individual or small group instruction options available.
- On-site Tai Chi for Balance or Tai Chi, Long Yang Form, class options.
- Dr. Busby also works closely with a wonderful network of competent area health and fitness professionals and, once assessed, she frequently refers patients and clients to the place and person that best meets their needs.
“Bente is undeniably the most caring healthcare provider I have ever had the pleasure to be treated by. She treats the individual and this is true of her group instruction like the Tai Chi as well.” – N. O.
“I have been coming to Bente for forever, she’s keeping this “old” body working!” – G. D.
“I have taken Bente’s beginning tai chi classes since she opened her new business — and I love them. As a teacher, Bente combines a solid understanding of both the theory and practice of this martial art. However, class members are probably much more focused on the health benefits, such as balance and flexibility, than on using tai chi for self-defense. Bente creates a supportive atmosphere for her students — an important consideration especially when teaching something so new to those who so need it!” – S. Z.
“Bente is a benevolent, skilled and welcoming teacher who loves to teach. She creates a relaxing calm mood in her beautiful studio. We learn with focus and great enjoyment. We appreciate the respect she has for everyone and how they learn. I always feel happy and healthy after Tai Chi.” – W. H.